February 15-22, 2021
All events are online at 1:00pm, EST (U.S.)
Register on Eventbrite to attend the 2020 Gilder/Coigney International Theatre Award Program:
MONDAY, FEBRUARY 15, 2021 – LPTW’s YouTube Channel
A journey around the world in 24hrs to meet some of the G/C International Theatre Award 2020 Nominees and G/C Award past Winners. Performances, panels, and conversations from different countries will be streamed in their original language with an introduction in English for each artist and country.
The presentations speak to the following themes:
1. What impact has theatre had in your community
2. Women theatre artists on the battlefields of cultural change
3. The pandemic and its impact on Women & Theatre Projects
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 16, 2021 – HowlRound Platform
Gilder/Coigney International Theatre Award Ceremony
Host: Tamara Tunie, Film and Television Celebrity
A one-hour virtual event which will:
- provide information about LPTW and the Gilder/Coigney Award Program
- showcase the work of the nominees, highlighting the Finalists
- feature a Keynote Speaker on the need for global collaboration and artist diplomacy
- celebrate the lifetime achievements of Italian artist Franca Valeri
- pay tribute to Hanane Haji Ali and present her with the G/C Award, followed by an acceptance speech
Co-hosted by the Martin E. Segal Theatre Center/CUNY Graduate Center
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 17, 2021 – LPTW’s YouTube Channel
How to Keep Creating While Everything Around You is Falling Apart: A Conversation with Hanane Hajj Ali
Interviewer: Torange Yeghiazarian, Founding Artistic Director of Golden Thread Productions
An interview and Q&A with LPTW G/C International Theatre Award winner Hanane Haji Ali, including a screening of a video about her work with a focus on her signature piece, Jogging.
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 18, 2021 – LPTW’s YouTube Channel.
Women On Stage and In The Streets: Three Leading Beiruti Theatremakers
Moderator: Catherine Coray, New York University Professor and Lebanese American Curator
- Hanane Hajj Ali (Gilder/Coigney Award-winner)
- Maya Zbib (GCITA 2014 and 2020 Finalist)
- Lina Abyad (Award-winning theatre artist)-
A 70-minute discussion will explore the challenges and rewards of making theater in Beirut; of being women leaders in the arts; and creating work that confronts domestic violence, political corruption and the plight of refugees.
Co-hosted by the Lebanese American University, New York Academic Center.
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 19TH, 2021 – LPTW’s YouTube Channel.
Raising Social Awareness and Activating Change Through Theatre
Moderator: Catherine Filloux, Co-founder, Theatre Without Borders
- Maya Zbib (GCITA 2014 and 2020 Finalist – Lebanon)
- Mallika Sarabhai (Nobel Prize and GC Award nominee – India)
- Dominique Morisseau (MacArthur Genius Grant Fellow -U.S.)
- Anne Hamburger (OBIE and Drama Desk Award-winner – U.S.)
- Mihaela Dragăn (GCITA Special Citation recipient – Romania)
A 90-minute conversation with five inspiring theatre practitioners working to effect social justice locally and globally, exploring the complexities of creating theatre that challenges the status quo both in subject matter as well as theatrical format.
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 20, 2021 – LPTW’s YouTube Channel
Theatre Education: Reaching Beyond the Stage
Moderator: Courtney Coco Killingsworth, Vice President for Education and Community Engagement, BAM
- Iman Aoun (GCITA 2020 Finalist – Palestine)
- Grace Gachocha Nakaka (GCITA 2020 Nominee – Tanzania)
- Stephanie Berry (OBIE Winning Theatre Artist and Educator – U.S.)
- Ilire Vinca (GCITA 2017 and 2020 Nominee – Kosovo)
A 75-minute panel investigating the ways in which theatre artists are applying their craft in educational settings—formal and informal and at all age levels. The conversation includes women with experience as instructors in public schools and universities, as well as in creating programs directly with disenfranchised and marginalized communities whose stories are untold or under-told. They will discuss how theatre is uniquely suited as a powerful learning tool and agent for change, and ways in which this work can be replicated.
MONDAY, FEBRUARY 22, 2021 – LPTW’s YouTube Channel
The Dynamic Alliance of Theatre and Technology
Moderator: Abigail Zealy Bess, Award Winning Filmmaker And Theatre Director
- Lupe Gehrenbeck (GCITA 2020 Nominee – Venezuela)
- Faynia Williams (GCITA 2020 Nominee – England)
- Burbuqe Berisha (GCITA 2020 Nominee – Kosovo)
- Avra Sidiropoulou (GCITA 2020 Nominee – Greece)
This 90-minute presentation is the last in a series of panels celebrating the LPTW Gilder/Coigney International Theatre Award Program. We will explore the fascinating ways in which our panelists have achieved poignant and thought-provoking theatre using technology, and how this has enhanced their theatrical vision. Now, more than ever, we are placing increasing reliance on technology as we navigate the future of the pandemic. This conversation asks the question, “how will theatre-practitioners keep pace in this ever changing environment that is the New Norm?”
For more information, or to GET INVOLVED, contact G/C Award Chair Joan D. Firestone at InternationalAward@theatrewomen.org
CLICK HERE to watch a video about the theatrical work of the LPTW’s 2017 Gilder/Coigney International Awards Nominees.
This Award is only possible through the generous support of LPTW members, friends and others interested in promoting the mission and activities associated with the LPTW Gilder/Coigney International Theatre Award. As a 501(c)3 organization, all gifts and donations to LPTW are fully tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law. Thank you for your support!