The acclaimed television series, WOMEN IN THEATRE – Dialogues with Notable Women in American Theatre, was produced by the League of Professional Theatre Women (Betty Corwin, Ruth Mayleas, Harriet Slaughter: producers). Hosted by Linda Winer, Newsday Theatre Critic, it was aired on CUNY TV (Channel 75 in New York City).
This unique series highlights the accomplishments of women on the American stage; each program consists of 13 half-hour interviews with distinguished women directors, producers, designers, playwrights, and performers. WIT provides a long overdue focus, through the medium of television, on the major roles that women have played in all aspects of the American theatre’s history, development, and current practices.
The 65 women interviewed in the series include:
- Year One: Playwrights Dael Orlandersmith, Suzan-Lori Parks, Diana Son, Paula Vogel; Actresses Rosemary Harris, Cherry Jones; Producers Elizabeth McCann, Daryl Roth; Artistic Directors Lynne Meadow (Manhattan Theatre Club), Molly Smith (Arena Stage); Designers Heidi Ettinger (scene), Willa Kim (costume); and Virginia Louloudes, Alliance of Resident Theatres/New York.
- Year Two: Playwright Wendy Wasserstein; Actresses Kathleen Chalfant, Ruby Dee, Chita Rivera, Marian Seldes, Kate Valk; Artistic Directors Libby Appel (Oregon Shakespeare Festival), Carey Perloff (American Conservatory Theatre); Director/Designer Julie Taymor; Choreographers Graciele Daniele, Susan Stroman; Designer Jennifer Tipton (lighting); and Isabelle Stevenson (American Theatre Wing).
- Year Three: Playwrights Tina Howe, Lynn Nottage, Anna Deavere Smith; Actresses Barbara Cook, Angela Lansbury, Audra McDonald, Joanne Woodward, Joan Allen, Lois Smith; Producers/Artistic Directors Anne Bogart (SITI Company), Martha Lavey (Steppenwolf Theatre Company), Ellen Stewart (La MaMa Experimental Theatre); Designers Peggy Eisenhauer (lighting), Jane Greenwood (costume); Composer Jeanine Tesori; and a profile of Steppenwolf Theatre Company, Chicago.
- Year Four: Playwrights Edward Albee (speaking on women in his plays), Kia Corthron; Artistic Director, Producer, Playwright Emily Mann (McCarter Theatre); Actresses Patti LuPone, S. Epatha Merkerson, Estelle Parsons, Zoe Caldwell; Lyricist Lynn Ahrens; Producers/Artistic Directors Margot Harley (The Acting Company), Tina Packer (Shakespeare & Company); Casting Director/Producer Rosemarie Tischler; Designer Carrie Robbins (costume); and Political Theatre Group: Guerrilla Girls on Tour.
- Year Five: Actresses Cynthia Nixon, Daphne Rubin-Vega, LaChanze; Artistic Directors Carole Rothman (Second Stage Theatre), Blanka Zizka (The Wilma Theater); Dramaturg Anne Cattaneo (Lincoln Center Theater); Composer and Lyricist Nancy Ford and Gretchen Cryer; Designer Natasha Katz (lighting); Director/Choreographer Martha Clarke; Producer Margo Lion; Theatrical Attorney Floria Lasky; Composer/Director/Writer Elizabeth Swados.
WOMEN IN THEATRE has been underwritten by the Ford Foundation, the Educational Foundation of America, the National Endowment for the Arts, the New York State Council on the Arts, the Lucille Lortel Foundation. the Edith Meiser Foundation, the Grisham Foundation, the Amber Foundation, the Steven and Daryl Roth Foundation, the Strelsin Foundation, the Palisades Educational Foundation, the Betty R. Sheffer Foundation, William Haber, and Joanne Jacobson, Nina Lannan, Honey Waldman, and other individual League members.