The League of Professional Theatre Women boasts many programs that support our goal of promoting visibility and increasing opportunity for women in Professional Theatre. Many of our programs are member initiated.
- 50/50 in 2020: A broad-reaching partnership with the Women’s Project and New Perspectives Theatre to reinforce the need for equal pay and equal opportunity
- Educational Programming: Through Special Programs, Panels and Lectures, the League offers its members and the community educational programming that highlights women theater professionals past and present.
- Holiday Party: Held annually in December, this evening celebration is a social gathering for members and Friends.
- Julia’s Reading Room: Julia’s Reading Room, named for Julia Miles, is a program that provides opportunities to League playwrights, librettists, directors, actors, and producers to bring works in progress to be read.
- Leadership Luncheons: Leadership luncheons bring guests from various fields of theatre together with League members.
- Members Night Out: Quarterly get-togethers for members and potential members to meet in an informal and fun atmosphere.
- Oral History: Made possible by generous grants from the Edith Meiser Foundation, the New York State Council on the Arts, the Betty R. and Ralph Sheffer Foundation, and private donors. The ongoing Oral History Project chronicles and documents the contributions of significant theatre women in many fields.
- #OneMoreConversation: a call to directors, artistic directors, producers, boards, and other decision-makers to have just one more conversation with a woman theatre artist or professional before making a hiring decision.
- Travel: Trips to locations of theatrical, educational and cultural value to the League’s members.
- Theatre Connections: Theatre Connections is a members-only program, designed to help our members build bridges and gain insights into active producing organizations that generously collaborate on this project.
- Theatre Women Awards: Held annually, this event celebrates women in the field chosen to receive awards for their exemplary work and dedication.
- Workshops & Seminars: The League organizes workshops and seminars where League members and guest experts discuss a variety of topics of interest to League members.
- Curtain Call: Celebrating a Century of Women Designing for Live Performance Co-Curated by the New York Library for the Performing Arts, this extensive exhibit featured hundreds of designers from the past 100 years. The exhibit ran from November 2008 until May 2009. Read more about the exhibit, or purchase the full color catalogue.
- Women in Theatre DVD Series: A series of interviews of notable women in theatre. Linda Winer conducted the interviews and they were shown on CUNY-TV. Read more about the project or purchase the DVDs via Theatre Communications Group.
- New Play Festival: Held on occasion to celebrate the work of League members.
- 30 Plays Series: A special program celebrating the work of League members throughout the 30th Anniversary.